Sunday, May 15, 2011

THIIIIINK!

Rav Chaim Knievsky is unquestionably one of the biggest Talmidei Chachomim of our generation. He knows it all!

He told the heads of a Yeshiva in Bnei Brak that if the Yeshiva bans cellphones - they don't need a security guard!! The merit of the students who are completely immersed in learning is enough.

Today - people aren't immersed in ANYTHING. Too many gadgets. I know that I have trouble having a two minute conversation with someone without being interrupted by a phone call [from his phone - mine is permanently off....]. People sit on the bus and train - playing around with their gadgets. Texting, sending emails, calling, playing games, talking, babbling or reading silly newspapers that you can't believe anyway etc. etc.

QUIET!!! The Neshama NEEDS silence in order to be activated. When Hashem gave us the Torah, Chazal say that a bird didn't chirp and a donkey didn't bray.

Complete silence.

To accept the Torah one needs to be 100 percent focused. No distractions.

People tell me that in some places boys sit in Gemara shiur and are busy with facebook.

To daven one needs to be completely divorced from this world. A phone in ones pocket takes one subconsciously everywhere - except where he needs to be, with Hashem.

When walking down the street one can THINK. Think - where am I going [in life], what middos I can fix, how I can improve relationships I have, that G-d runs the world. THINK. Become introspective.

Somehow I think I am fighting a losing battle. But if even ONE PERSON turns off their phone for a half hour a day and focuses INSIDE, this post will have been a success.