Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Long Journey

It is well known that Jewish men are buried in a tallis. With this in mind - a may'se.

The Maggid of Kelm once davened in Riga in a vacation spot and he noticed that many of the men didn't bother to bring their talleisim with them. He was quite perturbed. So he went up to the bima and said as follows: "Rabbosai! Let me share with you a story. I once came to someone's house to visit but was told that nobody was home. But suddenly I heard crying from inside the house. It was the person's tallis. So I said "Tallis Tallis, why do you cry?" The tallis answered "My owner went on vacation, took all of his money and valuables with him but left me here." So I told the tallis "Don't cry! One day your owner is going on a loooong journey and he is going to leave all of his money and valuables at home and take only YOU with him."

The message was well taken in Riga.