Saturday, January 8, 2011

My Day In The Sun

There I was in Madison Square Garden. The seats were completely filled. S.R.O., standing room only. An orchestra of 58 people were behind me playing their instruments. I sang the greatest hits in Jewish music. Fried, Ben David, Carlebach, Miami Boys, Shwekey and some of my own personal compositions. The crowd was eating it up. The electricity in the air was palpable. Interspersed amongst the songs were inspiring stories and divrei torah. So elevating. The feeling I had was that nobody, including me, wanted this evening to end. But it had to. I exited. But the cheers were overwhelming and I felt compelled to come out for one last final song. Bishaaaaaaaah shemeeeeelech haaaaamoshiach baaaa...... I finished and the crowd gave me a standing ovation. I couldn't help but feel enveloped in the love and adulation that the people were showering upon me.

Off-stage I met the organizer of the event who gave me a check for the evenings 'work'. I looked at it. Seven figures. I started licking my chops. 20 percent to tzedaka. And enough left over to solve all of my financial problems until the end of my life. I can marry off all of my children, buy them apartments and have plenty left over. A feeling of calm and serenity comes over me.

I made it.

But then I heard it. Beep-Beep, Beep-Beep, Beep-Beep. My alarm. I clumsily reached over to turn it off. Back to life. High electricity bills. Seemingly endless waits for crowded busses taking me places I really don't want to go to in the first place. Difficult people I have to deal with on a daily basis. Nagging physical ailments.

Life as we all know it.

Sweetest friends all of life is like a dream. One day we will wake up to the real world. All we will have there is our Torah and Mitzvos. Everything else will be gone with the wind.

It is worth our while to wake up now.

Love and blessings:).