Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Forgiveness

“When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free."

"To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness."

“To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you."


The Rambam in Hilchos Tshuva says that the idolators ["arelei lev" - cruel-hearted] refuse to forgive but the Jews as a people are forgiving. When you forgive, you not only do a favor for the forgiven but do a much more major favor for YOURSELF!

So to refuse to grant forgiveness is to take yourself out of the category of one who possesses Jewish qualities and to make yourself MISERABLE. It just isn't worth it to hold on to anger or a desire for vengence. So if you are asked [otherwise there is no obligation], forgive from the heart. You will feel blissful.

As I am writing I am trying to apply my words to somebody who has knowingly harmed me on numerous occasions. It is NOT easy! But if he comes to ask - that will be the GREATEST day of my life [outside of the birth of my children, my marriage and the '69 Mets. I was born in '71]!! [He does NOT read this blog, so don't see this as a message to him.]

Remember, people are filled with flaws. G-d understands this and gives us 613 mitzvos of tshuva. Every sin committed or mitzva not done properly can be fixed. Should we be less understanding than Hashem Himself?!

LOVE AND BLESSINGS:):)