Monday, May 17, 2010

More Than Just "Tradition"

There are two ways to approach the Torah:

1] Torah is NICE! It adds a spiritual dimension to my life, makes me a deeper, smarter individual and provides me with a solid framework within which to conduct my life. It is also very heartwarming to follow the long-standing tradition of my ancestors.

2] Torah is LIFE. When I do a sin my soul [i.e. my essence] dies a partial death and when I do a mitzva I truly live in the deepest and most profound way. The very thought of commiting a sin would be like thinking about being afflicted with a horrible disease. The prospect of doing a mitzva is at least as exciting as the thought of winning the New York State lottery. [BTW - If I did what would I do with all that money? Answer: Baruch Hashem I have a helpmate who would be able to think of a few ideas and happily relieve me of the responsibility of deciding (after giving at least 20 percent to tzedaka). THANK G-D FOR WIVES!!!]

Every word of #1 is true but unless one is living in the reality of #2 he is missing the point. "Kee heim chayeinu" - Torah is our life force. If I don't learn Torah as I should I am literally DYING, just not in the physical sense [even though at every minute NO MATTER WHAT we are literally dying as we slowly take a one way trip the the END]. When I open up my Bava Metzia or my Mesilas Yesharim I am injecting myself with eternal life, goodness and vitality.

Only this attitude enables one to fully appreciate what Shavuos is all about.

A gut yontiff, tyere zisse friends!!!:):)