Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Serenity

I have never been privileged to attend Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. I drink wine "religiously" - meaning kiddush, havdala and Purim but not much more than that. But I understand that they say the serenity prayer: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

Oftentimes in life there is someone whom we really love who is making mistakes and we would like to make everything good. But people have minds of their own and it is really not up to us. I remember when I was in High School [in the Dominican Republic up on 186th street]. It was a good school - but I primarily took advantage of the gym and lunch program. Mr. Fenner the gym teacher would ask me "Don't you have class?" and I would say "No, this is my gym period". He would say "Then why were you here last period?" I would answer "Oh, that was during math class".

My parents and teachers would have preferred that I be more studious but they couldn't control me. The happy ending was that I like "school" so much that I hope never to leave. And I lost my interest in gym, balls and black men with tattoos jumping and throwing, but I had to come to that on my own. Now as I raise the next generation I sometimes wish that they would do things differently but I have found that just as nobody could force me, I can't force anyone else. Ultimately, if somebody comes to a realization on one's own it is a lot more powerful that any external imposition of values and behavior. We must try to educate by words and example while realizing that the final product is not up to us. This attitude will bring a spirit of serenity upon us.

Oh, and we need LSD.

Lotsa Siyata Dishmaya!!!:):)